Wednesday, August 30, 2006

When God calls us, does He get a busy signal?

One day I bought a toy telephone for my son. One of the sounds it makes is a busy signal. It's not that often that we hear a busy signal nowadays since most of us have 'call waiting'. One day as he played with it I thought "What an annoying noice. I forgot just how annoying it can be". Somehow it made me think of God. When He 'calls' us, does He get a busy signal?

There is a beautiful hymn called, "Here I Am Lord". Some of the words go: "I have heard you calling in the night. I will go Lord, if you need me. I will hold your people in my heart." For many years this hymn could easily bring me to tears. One because of it's simplistic beauty. The second because it made me feel kind of guilty. I felt God starting to call me to serve Him. And I was not answering. I was giving Him a busy signal. I was either too "busy" to hear His call, too afraid to answer His call &/or too afraid to follow His plan for me once I did answer it. But I couldn't get around it when I heard that song. I was in church so I couldn't leave! I was forced to listen to it. Finally it got to a point where I had to be honest & admit that I had heard Him calling (in the night) & I was not picking up. I slowly started opening my heart, my mind & most of all my attention to Him & His Word.
Slowly I started to spend time in prayer & reading the Bible. I liked what I read. While reading the Bible, I was shocked at what I read, amazed, laughed, shed a tear & even was on the edge of my seat sometimes! But a funny thing happened. "Coincidentally" my life, attitude, results, got better. I was calmer, more in control, more healthy, less judgemental. I became a better person, a better wife, mother, a better Christian. I got more confident, smart, wise, but mostly I got even more receptive to God's work for me. Why do you think I'm writing this now? Because that's one of God's assignments for me. To bring people to Him through the words that He gives me. Praise Him!
When God calls you, do you pick up? Firstly do you even hear Him calling? Is your caller id on to even be aware that it's Him who calls? Or if you know it is Him, do you pick up? If so, when? On the first ring, the first time He calls you to do something? Or do you let it ring a few times? Do you let the 'answering machine' get it, meaning we hear Him speaking but do not call back or don't respond? Do you let His message blink away like on your answering machine for a while while you stall? Or worse, when He calls you, does He get a busy signal? That sound that's so annoying?
It's easy to get busy, isn't it? At any given second there is probably at least a dozen things we could be doing. And instead of technology giving us more time, somehow it hasn't. It's just made us more demanding of what we do with our time because we're all so "plugged in". But even if it's not technology or work that keeps us busy it's other things, family, child-care & elder-care, paperwork, home repairs, working out, even social engagements, you name it. Yes, it's very easy to get 'busy' & keep busy. But busy doesn't always mean you're doing anything or accomplishing anything of real value. There's a great phrase that says "Work smart, not hard". I think we all work hard but when we don't make time for God, we're not working very smart. People wonder why we're so exhausted, stressed and have no energy; we're drained. Lack of energy is one of the most common complaints to Doctors by patients. Ask yourself, "Am I working hard or smart? Am I staying conencted with the real source? Am I spending time with my Heavently Father? Am I reading & staying close to His Word?
I'm no different from you. I'm here to tell you with 100% surety that He is calling you too! Ask yourself right now, "Am I answering His call? Am I letting it ring, giving God a busy signal?" If so, now, today, is the time to pick up. You don't have to turn your life completely upside down. You just have to open up a little bit. That's all you have to do; just start. Make today better. Ask yourself what you think God wants from you at this moment. It may be as little as a smile to someone; that's all it may be! Then ask yourself that same question tomorrow & the next day & trust the answer you get.
Wake Up! God is calling you. Like Uncle Sam, HE WANTS YOU! He loves you. He died for you. Pick up the phone & open your heart & your life to greatness!
God Bless & Praise God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home